Five top considerations for your IT Security team to safeguard your organization
By Enrique Velazquez, Product Manager, Security & Compliance at Cogeco Peer 1
DDoS. Data breaches. Malware. Ransomware. Social engineering attacks.
Security is, without question, top-of-mind – for almost every IT leader today. But if your IT department is like many others, its approach is more reactive than proactive.
The single-biggest threat to security facing companies today is risk management. The fact is, most companies’ IT teams are not trained security experts, and are not following a comprehensive security strategy that provides the requisite protective measures for the company as a whole.
Cogeco Peer 1, for example, has implemented a number of actions to help ensure it maintains the highest levels of security possible for the company, and for our customers. We adhere to certification standards, are SOC1-audited, and undertake a full PCI DSSI assessment regularly. We also conduct organization-wide security training for our staff, and have put strict processes and procedures in place.
If you are looking to have a more comprehensive security strategy, here are five top considerations for you, your IT team, and your organization as a whole:
- Have a firewall and antivirus protection in place. These are essential safeguards.
- Take the time to really look at and plan out a complete risk management strategy. Only when this is complete, will you have a solid idea of exactly what you need.
- Get DDoS protection. This enables you to avoid brute force attempts.
- Obtain the best type of threat detection capability your organization can afford. It’s essential to know when you’re compromised.
- Finally, really zero in on your identity and access management. Log management is a critical component of this process management.
And there’s also a sixth (and arguably, the most important) consideration: there’s no such thing as a perfect mousetrap. It’s not a question of if you will get attacked, it’s a question of when you will get attacked. Following these steps will go a long way in helping your IT team maintain a high level of security for your organization.
DOWNLOAD our latest Infographic: “SECURITY BY THE NUMBERS: DDoS Attacks Stats & Trends”